Improvement of the combustion, emission, and stability features of diesel-methanol blends using n-decanol as cosolvent

Sci Rep. 2022 Nov 8;12(1):18963. doi: 10.1038/s41598-022-20326-0.

ABSTRACT

This research endeavored to boost the applicability of methanol in CI engines utilizing n-decanol as cosolvents. The work was split into binary phases. Firstly, the stabilities of pure methanol (M100) and hydrous-methanol (MH10), with diesel as a reference fuel, were examined applying various temperatures: 10 °C, 20 °C, and 30 °C. The findings showed that the M100-diesel and MH10-diesel combinations were unstable. Thus, n-decanol was utilized as a cosolvent. Following by the engine combustion and emissions characteristics were evaluated by manipulating three proportions of M100-diesel mixtures with n-decanol. Three mixtures comprised of 5, 10, and 15% M100 with 20% n-decanol, which are denoted as M5, M10, and M15, correspondingly. These combinations were assessed via thermogravimetric assessment, and their physicochemical properties were assessed corresponding to the ASTM. The maximum in-cylinder pressure, heat release rate, and pressure rise rate diminished by 10, 11, and 10%, respectively, for the M100/diesel/n-decanol combinations compared with the diesel oil. The brake thermal efficiency lowered by 10%, whereas the brake specific fuel consumption enlarged by 10% for the combinations compared with the diesel. NOx and smoke opacity levels diminished by about 30 and 50%, respectively, whereas the CO and UHC enlarged by about 50 and 60% for the blends compared with the diesel oil.

PMID:36347886 | DOI:10.1038/s41598-022-20326-0

Share:

Related Posts

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Generated by Feedzy